Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Hobbit

Normally, I would honestly have to say I would stay away from reading "The Hobbit" or similar literature.  But since it was required reading for this class, I decided to go ahead and give it a try.
Biblo the main Hobbit in the story, like many others finds this gold ring is the all powerful, when you possess it you become invisible.
Now it seems a little silly,yes but as I read more into the story, it was completely evident that this was  their God, and how these Hobbits felt about the ring is similar to how Catholics feel about God.
Now this completely intrigued me, because I was raised Roman Catholic and was taught God was all powerful, for reasons that some choose to believe while others do not. I always questioned wether or not my Religion was always completely correct or not. Reading something about a culture, of some sort real or make believe, so devout to one being or object, made me want to  continue reading because the idea of having something that one could believe in, and feel so strongly about they truly believe with all of their being that this powerful object is so important to a community.
Although I still feel that "Hobbits" are silly creatures, the message I took away from this read was most certainly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment